Saturday, April 29, 2006

Ministry: Thoughts on the Mega-Church.

I have always enjoyed the show King of the Hill. I really think it's a brilliant caricature of life in middle America. One thing you can count on with Mike Judge (Beavis & Butthead, Office Space) he interprets culture in a very unique and humorous way. On a few occasions Judge has tackled the subject of church culture. Several years ago there was an episode where Bobby Hill started going to some super-hip youth group. Then there was the episode when the Hill's Methodist church brought in a woman pastor. Now, this time (2 weeks ago) he chooses to give his interpretation of the mega-church. I have posted the whole episode here and would love to hear your thoughts on this. I think it is interesting how a non-Christ follower sees the whole mega-church thing. Please watch and comment.



5 Comments:

At 4/29/2006, Blogger Bryonm said...

Great satire. Remeinds me of the ME church video. It seems Mike Judge didn't just give his interpretation of the mega church, but church and church go-ers, as well.

My take on it is that Mike Judge has an jaded opinion of "Cultural Christianity" or "bible-belt believers" as a whole. And King of the Hill's setting is the buckle of the Bible belt.

 
At 4/29/2006, Blogger RC said...

I recently posted this video on my blog as well...it is very interesting and you can see this event playing out in the lives of people, especially those across the bible belt...like in the metroplex of texas were this story takes place.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

 
At 5/01/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed this one. My sides hurt from laughing so much. Just like people every church has its good side and its bad. And, just like people, I belive God calls each church to be different and play a different part in the mission of Jesus.

 
At 5/01/2006, Blogger Watercolor Sunday said...

only thing they left out was the "holy Spirit shooter jacket".
oh yes, and the sparkles that Benny Hinn tosses.

 
At 5/02/2006, Blogger . said...

that was great.. i gotta post this...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home