Friday, May 12, 2006

Ministry: Why do I do it?

I have been in full-time ministry for a short time now, only about 4 years. It has been really fun, exhausting and fulfilling. When one does the church ministry vocation thing it puzzles a lot of people (some of my former co-workers), intimidates some others (ohhh, now your a "man of the cloth") and lets face it, impresses others (my son is a "pastor"; or "hey brother, can you pray for my...."). I have recently been asking my self, "self, why are you in ministry?" After much contemplation, I have come up with a few answers to that question.

I'm Called. Since I was 16 there has been this sense of urgency that is in my DNA for ministry. There is nothing that I enjoy more than serving God and people. I think it is just so amazing that the Lord calls people to do specific things. Some are called to be accountants. Some bus drivers. Others construction workers. Me, I have been called into Christian service.
There's nothing else I could do. I drove a forklift for ten years at Costco Wholesale. That is about the extent of my non-ministry expertise. I couldn't imagine having to dig ditches or count number or predict the highs and lows of stocks.
Eternal Perspective. I love the fact that being in full time ministry drives you to have an eternal perspective on everything. When I am mentoring a young person or counseling a n adult, I am always reminded of eternity. That's why I do what I do, eternity. The Bible says "He has also set eternity in the hearts of men". I live this every day.

There are other reasons, but these are the one's that are obvious for me. I don't know if you ask yourself this question, but I'll ask you. Why do you do what you do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home