Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Bad Jobs.

I was watching this show about the worlds worst jobs and one was this Icelandic fisherman deal. I couldn't believe the lives these guys live. On 13 days, off 3. They work 6 hour shifts and off 6 hours, and every week each guy must work a double. Its nuts! It got me to thinking about my experiences in the work place. I have had many different jobs in my almost 34 years. My current "job" is by far the best and most rewarding (I'm in ministry). What did I do before? Well, here is an exhaustive list of my different jobs from best to worst...

Camp Maintenance Guy - for 2 summers ('88-'89) I was incredibly under-paid but very satisfied. I met people from all over the country and experienced summer camp for 10 weeks of the summer, and I was (under)paid, beautiful.
Golf Course Maintenance - what I like best about this gig was the literal beauty of the golf course. I had to be at the "office" by 6 am and I was given the bottom feeder stuff to do. I was a real bad employee in that I was super slow (lazy) and really young (19). I got fired after I caught an area of the rough on fire. That too, was beautiful.
Forklift Driver - this is what I would call "Costco Seminary". This is where I grew up and learned what it meant to be hard worker. Often times I had to be at work at 4-5 am. This is where I decided I would obey the call of God on my life and abandon the desirable warehouse life.
Pizza Delivery Guy - I had 2 stints as a pizza delivery guy. First was at Pizza Hut and second was at some local joint. I kinda liked this because the pay was pretty good for a college kid, and I got to listen to the radio a lot. Gas was also a lot cheaper at this time (like .89 a gallon).
Deli Guy - for a few months I was a sandwich maker at Publix (a Florida grocery chain). The only good part of this job was the freebies we got. I also learned to use one of the deli-meat slicers.
Bag Boy - at the same Publix where I worked in the deli, I was a bag boy. This was dreadful. I really struggled with the old people asking for paper or plastic or telling me how to pack their groceries. Back in the day we had to "dress up" in these cheesy outfits. Pay stunk too.
Ditch Digger - need I say any more? I remember one time digging ditches from 7 am to 5 pm in the scortching Florida summer sun. I chose to take my shirt off that day. One of the worst decisions I have ever made in my life. I didn't go in the next day because my skin was pretty close to falling off.
Construction Cleanup Guy - in my mind right up there with the Icelandic fisherman job. This is where I learned every four letter word known to man. Honestly, I don't really want to discuss it any more, bad memories, really bad.

**So, what are some of the bad jobs you have had? Anyone work at a solid waste place?

4 Comments:

At 6/20/2006, Blogger Chris Goeppner said...

there was a massive fire ant pile(s) so this guy and I had this brilliant idea, lets pour some fuel on the piles (which works) but we decided to throw a match on the pile(s) and BOOM! pretty much the a whole section of the rough ignites and we are running around the place like chickens with our heads cut off. the superintendent came and cussed us out while he helps us put the fire out then cans me and not the other guy. I know, yer thinking what an idiot!

 
At 6/20/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of working on the maintenance team (bath-room duty) at a steel mill for an entire summer. My first day on the job I was given pallet full of comet cleaner (about three feet high) , mops,rubber gloves, and assorted bath room cleaning supplies....ummm...what a great summer that was.

 
At 6/20/2006, Blogger Bryonm said...

paper route; dish washer; bowling pin chaser; US Marine; avionics tech; glass & aluminum installer; bread route; timber faller; roofer; copier salesman; car salesman; chemical store manager; Deer Park Water route; construction market data sales; church intern; church planter; propane route; parts washer route; industrial waste disposal route; Hagen Dazs route; assistant pastor; missionary.

A bunch of jobs and an education you can't get in school.

I got fired once for stealing liquor. That was in 1983 when I was a dish washer. I was too young to buy liquor. How else was I supposed to get my hands on it?

 
At 6/20/2006, Blogger J Dub said...

Man you guys have had a lot of jobs. I was only a busboy and a sandwich artist before the Air Force got me. I guess I'm fortunate in that respect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home