Friday, June 23, 2006

Cool Christians.

Today I received in the mail the latest "Relevant" magazine. It has all of these really "cool" ads and pithy articles. A bunch of "bands that are Christians but not a Christian band" ads are in there too. It's the super hip magazine of the day for relevant Christians, hence the name "Relevant".
REWIND: Oh, about two years ago a friend of mine told me about this magazine that was good and it wasn't cheesey. So I investigated and subscribed. For the first year I really dug the good articles and it seemed to be a real authentic periodical. Recently I have noticed an alarming trend, not just in the magazine but in many facets of Christian culture, everyone is trying to outdo the other in coolness or relevance or whatever. Whether its pastors saying "this is what WE do.." or magazines featuring almost-Christians that can really "relate" to us or even bands that are "Christians but not a Christian band". I'm really bugged by this and sometimes I fall prey to this cool-competition that is so part of Christianity.
REWIND MORE: 5 years ago this guy I know was making slick flyers, I thought they were "cool" so I had him make some for our college ministry at church. They were a hit and everyone was all about them. I felt "cool", kind of ahead of the game if you know what I mean. People would call me from much bigger ministries and ask "where did you get those flyers made? That's a great idea to promote the ministry that way....blah, blah, blah". Now most ministries have their promotions on slicks and it's the norm. My gut says "what's next?" My heart says "who cares!" the Spirit says "does it matter?".
TODAY: I guess I have just come to realize the fact that I'm not relevant and definitely not cool. To be honest, I really don't think it matters. Do you?

3 Comments:

At 6/23/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter...at least to me. I think the American culture drives the need to 'out do' your rival. I think we are seeing a tennis match of ideas going back and forth between the mega-church and popular Christian Culture. The end product is terrible...because in the end I see more and more 'Christians' becoming consumers...and not contributors to the body. Additionally I think people try to define for God what He's to do next...when they (we) should be excited to just simply be a part of what God is doing now.

 
At 6/24/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mawma says....
This is a great article....I'm impressed, your writing abilities continue to amaze me. Now, as for my opinion, I have been all about this for YEARS....when no one agreed wtih me! They are just trying to dress up the church so it is more apealing to the world....how sad, it's not about the gospel anymore it's about outdoing each other for the sake of numbers.

 
At 6/24/2006, Blogger Bryonm said...

Chris:

I think your mommy and I both agree that you're cool no matter what anybody says. Sticks and stones, bro...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home