Friday, February 17, 2006

Ministry: My Church.

I remember the first service we ever had at Calvary Chapel of Jupiter. I was one of the 25 or so people in the auditorium that Sunday morning in the summer of 1997. Since then we had been through some dramatic changes. We sent out a guy to plant a church, a couple of other guys have left for various reasons, our worship leader left last year and a bunch of people left with bitterness following her departure. I guess you can say we went through a dreaded "church split". One thing that hasn't changed is our pastors commitment to lead our community of Christians and his teaching of the Word in an effective, applicable way. Through all of the changes, I have watched and learned. I saw people do things that I never thought could be done in a church setting. I heard people say things about my church and pastor that supposed friends, brothers and sisters would never say, and then try to spiritualize their rants. As frustrating and discouraging as some of this may be, I can honestly say, all of the drama has made our church stronger and more dependent on the Lord than ever before. I have watched my pastor become a better leader, more resolved and solidified in his call to shepherd this congregation. The Bible says:
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

I think we at Calvary Chapel of Jupiter have developed some perseverance this year and our church and leadership are maturing. My prayer is that as this season of trial comes to a close we will be more focused, driven and dependent on the Lord.

1 Comments:

At 2/17/2006, Blogger dogfreid said...

Glad to hear the church keeps truckin' along!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home