Saturday, July 01, 2006

Organism vs. Organization

I have been a Christian for a long time. It was in 1980 that my Sunday school teacher Miss Lund asked me if I would like Jesus to be my Savior. I remember really understanding the question and responded with an empathic yes. This began my journey in and around the organism known as the Church. Through the years I have been involved in many different capacities in the Church from Sunday school teacher for middle school boys to elementary puppeteer to first baseman for the softball team (does that count?). When I was growing up my parents were very involved in the Church as well (and still are). My dad was a Trustee, Deacon, sound tech, Sunday school teacher, parking attendant, home group leader and all around servant. My mom was a Sunday school teacher, Deaconess, mentoring mom, meal maker as well as all around servant. So this living organism, the Church, consists of people serving, loving and magnifying God for His eternal purpose. If there has been anything that has rubbed me the wrong way it has been the church. You know, the organization that man has made. Typically exemplified by some of people that think they know it all and therefore will butt their way into everyone else's business and push their business on everyone else. Like the old (young too) ladies that do nothing but chatter about the pastor and his family. Or the "seasoned" men that are so super spiritual that they know better than the pastor when it comes to the next step for the local Church. Or even the micro-managing pastor that constantly over involves himself in the things that he should probably just let some of his support team handle. I think I have seen it all. I have come to the conclusion that we (as part of the organism the Church) can try so hard to become an organization that we miss out on opportunity to be a part of the supernatural work of the organism. Over the past two years I have seen first hand the carnage caused by busy bodies, "wise men of God" and country club Christians and I can honestly say I want no part of this, church. I desire to be a part of the mysterious bride of Christ, the Church, in which He supernaturally through His Holy Spirit guides, leads and uses His people to make an eternal impact on the world. This is the difference between the eternal bride of Christ and the American Christian sub-culture that we have created: supernatural (Church) vs. natural (church). I desire the supernatural, God's hand, His Spirit.

Organism - a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently; system considered analogous in structure or function to a living body

Organization - A structure through which individuals cooperate systematically to conduct business. The administrative personnel of such a structure.

2 Comments:

At 7/01/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chris this is caitlin aumack,
thanks so much for that devotional i think it will be a lot of help for me to get Rayne to Christ! I can't wait to make the power points it is going to be so much fun! well i will see you on July 12th for the introduction on a/v team! i'll see you at church and on wed.!

 
At 7/03/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good word bro!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home