Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Why Satellite Churches?

It seems like everyone tries to be controversial in the blogging world. It is really not my purpose in blogging. I have had fun talking about things I like and occasionally, I may stir the pot a little. This time I think I might tick some people off, but so what. Here goes....over the past few years there has been a "trend" in evangelical churches. The trend, satellite campuses. You know, when a church out grows it's current facility and through the inspiration of men of influence, they get a brilliant idea to replicate what they are doing on their existing campus and start another satellite campus in another part of town or part of the region and sometimes another state. As Andrew Beajon states in his book "Body Piercing Saved My Life" "it's almost like a Home Depot model for a church" (page 113). This comes from a non Christ following journalist that writes nationally for Spin Magazine. He wrote what I have been saying for years. I think a certain part of the American church movement is very similar to the box store movement (Wal-Mart, Target, BestBuy, Home Depot etc.). You know when you go to a store often times they will ask for your zip code. After a certain time of accumulating info from their customers they decide to put a new franchise in another part of town, it's just natural for retail to do this. My question is this, should the church model this? Why should we? Isn't the purpose of the church to magnify God and love people? Is it that important that God "needs" a guy that is so dynamic and such a great leader that instead of raising up other men to go and start a new work somewhere else they just beam in the guy that everyone wants to see, hear or be entertained by or whatever. I just read recently where a church in Dallas started another campus in Miami. No problem with this right. From my point of view there is a problem. The pastor in Dallas will be the pastor in Miami, via satellite. Isn't that just weird? What happened to raising up a guy who is called to be a pastor and sending him out? Doesn't this seem like the New Testament model? The Apostle Paul, equipping say, Timothy. I think this satellite trend is destined for failure. When a trend is based on the savy, charisma, entertainment value and just plain charm of a man or the appeal of a style of doing church, something isn't right. I think church leaders must reevalute their motives. Do we do this (ministry) because of us being so good and gifted or because it was mandated by God. I promise this one thing, this will not be the last you hear from me on this subject.

9 Comments:

At 7/19/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen bro! Shepherd the flock! I think the whole satellite church negates the fact that you have to have 'boots' on the ground. Beaming in some yahoo is great but how can that person really minister to a community that he/she doesn't know anything about. I agree with you...raise up a pastor and send him out!

 
At 7/21/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um... idk... I totally feel you bro... but I've been to churches where it's working... The key for the churches that work... there is a lead pastor who is a gifted shepherd, but not as gifted in communication as the guy on the big screen...

My question is why the live worship, but not the live teaching?

love you bro...

-mark

 
At 7/24/2006, Blogger Jeff T. said...

I'm personally trying to move Calvary Chapel Jupiter towards live video worship. That way I can get up @ 9:45am on Sunday morning, put on a pair of jeans, turn on the webcam in the living room, lead worship for 40 minutes then go back to sleep. Hooray innovation!

 
At 7/25/2006, Blogger . said...

Very tuff subject, but great to discuss. I'm not sold on the video thing, even though I've never been in a setting like that.

I like how growing churches split up into smaller ones instead of having 200 acre properties with a shopping mall in it. But, to 'feed' into another state is kind of wierd. Or, I might be getting old school and unhip these days...

 
At 7/27/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! Strong opinions! The only issue I have with this article is my buddy Brian who was radically transformed by Jesus Christ at a multi-site campus. I wouldn't be to quick to discount the effectiveness of ministry that can be accomplished at a satilite site of a larger church. But then again, the best way to do worship is strickly with hymns and the only way to preach the Word is out of the King James Version:)

 
At 7/29/2006, Blogger Bryonm said...

What? No new post yet?

Welcome back from camp...

 
At 8/07/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Pastor Bob doing this in Boca? I've heard that people's lives are being totally changed there for the glory of God. Maybe you know something they don't...

 
At 8/08/2006, Blogger Chris Goeppner said...

hey anonymous, the question isnt whether peoples lives are being changed, the question is: what is the BEST way, to raise up a pastor and send him out, ala New Testament or beam a guy into another franchise location. Its a valid question.

 
At 8/09/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gep,
could you email David at
Dfigureoa@calvarymelbourne.org
he needs to ask you some questions about and pick your brain about our new youth group for our new "Satelite" church lol

I'm serious lol

love
audrey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home