Wednesday, December 20, 2006

"Apocalypto"

Last night Bryon and I went to see the much talked about epic film "Apocalypto" . It was one of the movies that I really wasn't sure of. I didn't know what to expect and had very low expectations because of the trailer that had been released. Let me get straight to the point, this movie is a masterpiece. I'm a fan of Mel Gibson ("Payback" is one of my favorite movies EVER!). "Apocalypto" does several things that make it amazing. First the Mayan culture of 500 years ago is captured. Although Gibson's depiction is under scrutiny by Mayan archaeologists, I think he gets a point across: this is culture was not the simple easy going western culture that you and I have grown up in. The second thing that makes this movie remarkable was the story itself, which I was surprised by. It's pretty much a love story between a man and his pregnant wife and child. I will not go beyond that, I don't want to ruin anything for you potential movie goers. Thirdly, the production is second to none. From the cinematography to the native spoken language to the costuming and set. This movie is Oscar worthy. I must say the acting was fantastic as well, even though the dialouge was difficult to follow.
If there would be any caution, I would say be prepared for gore beyond "Saw" and intensity above "Saving Private Ryan". Your heart will get a work out emotionally as you sympathize with a peaceful village that is ransacked and physically as you feel like you are being chased by savages through an unexplored jungle. My take, go see this, it is a classic epic that will be a standard in film making for years to come.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12/21/2006, Blogger Deb said...

I like your review.
I saw this the weekend it came out and I agree with you it was an excellent movie all around. Knowing some some of the Mayan history it is pretty accurate; in my opinion. I don't understand why the Mayan archaeologists don't like it.

 
At 12/21/2006, Blogger Chris Goeppner said...

I got the archaeologists critique here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061212/news_1c12mel.html

 
At 12/21/2006, Blogger Bryonm said...

awesome flick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home