Monday, February 26, 2007

My day off.

If you have been reading "Life & Times" for any period of time you know that Mondays are my day off. They are special days for me. I really have grown to understand Exodus 20:8 when it says "Remember the Sabbath Day by keeping it holy". When God made it law for man to keep a Sabbath He understood the necessity for man to take a day off. He was protecting us and trying to save man from potential life and family disaster! We live in a culture that says go, go, go. Don't be a slacker! I remember it wasn't long ago for me that I would feel guilty for taking a day off (Sabbath). The guilt was based on a sinful worldly based mentality. Through the ministry of my pastor and and other men of God (as well as my wife!) I have realized how sacred and holy a Sabbath day is. I can get my spiritual bearings back. I do this by reading the Bible and praying. I reflect on God's goodness and grace towards me. I can get my physical bearings back by getting some extra needed sleep. I get my mental bearings back by not overloading on information. There are no meetings, planning, phone calls, e-mails or drop ins on my day off. I like it that way. Mondays are holy. Monday is my Sabbath. Do you have a Sabbath?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2/26/2007, Blogger Esther said...

yea, Sunday. We have basically the same philosophy as you. Which is why I don't think I've blogged on a Sunday. I don't have a problem with it, I just have family time on Sundays & church activities normally. Occasionally something out of the ordinary pops up, like yesterday we had a birthday party to go to for a child.
Hey, I emailed Penny. Hope I got the address correct ;o)

 
At 2/27/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha...sabbath's ended when we started volunteering at Church 5 years ago. It's sad...I think a lot of American Churches don't realize how hard they push their volunteers. I think everyone needs a day off (from work, ministry and life).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home